Ottawa Shooting - Tin Leg Position Statement
Update: This information has been moved to our Current Event Information Centers. For up-to-date information regarding this, and other current events that affect travel, please visit: https://www.squaremouth.com/current-event-information-centers/
The Current Event Information Centers are designed to keep travelers informed about current events that may affect international travel and the travel insurance industry. The Information Centers are populated with provider position statements, FAQ’s, and travel warnings and are updated by Squaremouth’s team of industry experts.
Please contact customer service for more information. We are available by phone at 1-800-240-0369, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and by chat until 9pm EST.
On October 22nd 2014, an exchange of gunfire between a Canadian citizen and Canadian police occurred in the National War Memorial and Parliament building in Ottawa, Canada. The shooting is being referred to as a terrorist attack by the Canadian government.
At this time, the incident does not meet Tin Leg’s definition of a “terrorist attack”, meaning there is no coverage for losses related to the attacks.
Tin Leg Economy, Standard, and Luxury policies offer Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage if a terrorist attack affects travel plans.
In order for an attack to be covered, it must meet the following requirements:
- Occur after the policy is purchased
- Be deemed an act of terrorism by the U.S. Department of State
- Result in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or destination for the below specified amounts of time:
- Tin Leg Economy policy: 48 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Standard policy: 24 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Luxury policy: 12 consecutive hours
- Occur within 7 days of your departure
- Occur within 50 miles of a city listed on your itinerary
Please contact Tin Leg with any questions at 844-240-1233, we are delighted to answer any additional questions.